|ACC178 MATHEMATICS II – SYLLABUS (FALL 2018)
Last updated: 26 January 2018
LC104 – 290-2067
COURSE ROOM: LB-101
- QUIZZES: Most Tuesdays, 8.40-9.30 (during spare hour)
- Tuesdays, 09.40-10.30
- Thursdays, 10.40-12.30
GOALS OF COURSE
- To continue to understand basic mathematics necessary for accounting, banking, and finance courses; students who take this course should have passed ACC 175 Mathematics I (or equivalent course)
- Textbook: Introductory Mathematical Analysis: For Business, Economics, and the Life and Social Sciences, 13th Edition; Haeussler E., Paul R. and Wood R. (Essex, England: Pearson Education Limited, 2014)
- Copies available in Bilkent Bookstore
- One copy on reserve in the Bilkent Library
- Appendix A (for Textbook): Copy available from Moodle
- Calculator: Casio Scientific Calculator fx-82MS (or equivalent)
METHODS OF EVALUATION
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR FINAL EXAM
- Participation: 10%
- Quizzes: 30% – Best 6 (out of 8); 5 points each
- Midterm: 30%
- Final: 30%
- Participate in Midterm
- Participate in 3 or more quizzes
- Participate in at least 80% of classes
- Times for quizzes, midterm, and final will be announced in class and via email
- In this course, a "C" is a 73, while an "F" is a 59 or lower. See General Grade Scale (on Erin's web page).
- Participation: For each class, students are expected to be on time, with a pen, notebook, textbook, calculator, and Appendix A. (Erin will later announce if other items become required.) Personal electronic devices must be switched off. Students who use a personal electronic device during class without asking for and receiving permission will not get participation for that hour. Students are expected to use the bathroom during breaks, and follow other basic protocol for academic classes. Students must also check their Bilkent email for course information at least once per day.
- Cheating / Plagiarizing: Unacceptable, with disciplinary action for gross or multiple offences.
- Handouts: Available from Erin's web site and/or Moodle.
- Homework: To be completed outside of class.
- Visiting Erin in her Office: Strongly encouraged.
| WEEK 1 || Introduction; Review of ACC 175 Final Exam; Chapter 5.1 to 5.2 |
| WEEK 2 || Chapter 5.3 to 5.4 |
| WEEK 3 || Chapter 5.5 to 5.6 |
| WEEK 4 || Chapter 6.1 to 6.3 |
| WEEK 5 || Chapter 6.4 to 6.7 |
| WEEK 6 || Chapter 10.1 to 10.2 |
| WEEK 7 || Chapter 10.3 to 10.4 |
| WEEK 8
MIDTERM: Tuesday, 27 March (at 08.40)
| WEEK 9 || Chapter 11.1 to 11.3 |
| WEEK 10 || Chapter 11.4 to 11.5 |
| WEEK 11 || Chapter 12.1 to 12.4 |
| WEEK 12 || Chapter 12.5 to 12.7 |
| WEEK 13 || Chapter 14.2, 14.6, 14.11 |
| WEEK 14 || Catch-up |
| AFTER WEEK14 || FINAL: takes place sometime between 16 and 28 May |