|ACC/BF173 COMPUTER APPLICATIONS I -- SYLLABUS (FALL 2016)
Last updated: 20 September 2016
LC104 -- 290-2067
LAB ROOMS AND TIMES: Mondays and Wednesdays: 10.40-12.30 (in B-305)
-- B-building is near the Bus Stop, with Mozart Café in the basement
GOALS OF COURSE
- To understand how to use word processing, spreadsheeting, presentation, photo editing, and drawing software as well as introduction to other software necessary for basic academic, personal, accounting, banking & finance, and statistical applications
- To prepare for ACC170/BF174 (Computer Applications II)
- 7-zip -- Compression software (free)
- Chrome and/or Firefox -- Browser software (free)
- Microsoft Office 2010 (although students may wish to use a later version)
- Not free: Download, in English, from a reputable source
- Free: Use computers in the Bilkent "BCC" labs (in the B, G, FF, and EE buildings)
- LibreOffice -- Free
METHODS OF EVALUATION
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR FINAL EXAM
- Attendance and Participation: 5%
- Quizzes: 35% -- Best 7 (out of 9 or more); 5 points each
- Midterm: 30%
- Final: 30%
- Participate in Midterm
- Participate in 5 or more quizzes
- Participate in at least 80% of classes
- Times for quizzes, midterm, and final will be announced in class and via email
- In this course, a "C" is a 73, while an "F" is a 59 or lower. See General Grade Scale (on Erin's web page).
- Participation: For each class, students are expected to be on time, with a pen and notebook, and with personal electronic devices switched off. Students who use a personal electronic device during class without asking for and receiving permission will not get attendance/participation for that hour. Students are expected to use the bathroom during breaks, and follow other basic protocol for academic classes. Students must also check their Bilkent email for course information at least once per day.
- Cheating / Plagiarizing: Unacceptable, with disciplinary action for gross or multiple offences.
- Handouts: Available from Erin's web site and/or Moodle.
- Homework / Labwork: To be completed outside of class.
- Technical: Students use their own Bilkent username, password, and H: drive for each class and exam.
- Visiting Erin in her Office: Strongly encouraged.
See Course Plan (.docx) for more detailed information
| WEEK01 || Introduction; Basic Windows; Basic Internet |
| WEEK02 || Word Processing; Practice Quiz, with PrintScreen & Uploading |
| WEEK03 || Word Processing |
| WEEK04 || Word Processing |
| WEEK05 || Word Processing |
| WEEK06 || Word Processing |
| WEEK07 || Word Processing; Compressing; Backing Up |
MIDTERM: 16 November (at 10.40)
-- No regular class on 14 November
| WEEK09 || LibreOffice; Snipping Tool; Photos; Prezi; WebyDo |
| WEEK10 || Slide Presentation |
| WEEK11 || Spreadsheeting |
| WEEK12 || Spreadsheeting |
| WEEK13 || Spreadsheeting |
| WEEK14 || Spreadsheeting |
| AFTER WEEK14 || FINAL: takes place sometime between 2 and 13 January |